As featured in the Covington-Maple Valley Reporter.
Football season is upon us and that means seemingly endless supplies of chips and salsa.
By the time February rolls around, aren’t we just a little tired of the same old food on those ritualistic game days?
Here’s a recipe idea that is sure to please everyone at the party, vegans and omnis alike.
I give you… pizza… in a cup!
The crust is an almond flour and wheat gluten mix that can be found on one of my other recipe pages. Just double the quantities you see for that one to make eight pizza cups. They are cupcake sized, so I figured this recipe will serve four hungry game-watchers.
Recipe is at the bottom of the page. But here’s a step-by-step in photos to help you out.
Aluminum foil strips for easy lifting after baking.
Tennis ball sized dough
Drop and squish.
Bake the empty cups at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
Meatless crumbles and onions (Tip! Use a mandolin to thinly slice the onions in a matter of seconds!)
Daiya cheese shreds (off the block!). In my opinion, the block and pre-shredded Daiya cheeses have totally different tastes. Maybe I’m crazy.
Bake for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees, or until the top of the crust is golden.
The crust is crumbly instead of the typical bread-like crust.
- Double recipe of high protein crust (see note above)
- ½ package Simple Truth Meatless Crumbles (Fred Meyer)
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- ¼ block Daiya Cheddar Style Cheese (or other vegan cheese), shredded
- Taking chunks of the dough, form into smaller balls the size of a tennis ball.
- Place dough in the cupcake baking pan, and using your fingers press the dough into the pan so it forms a cup.
- Bake the empty cups at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
- For the filling, sauté crumbles, sliced onions and taco seasoning in a skillet on medium-high heat. Add water as necessary for the seasoning.
- Place a spoonful of diced tomatoes at the bottom of the cup.
- Add crumbles/onion mixture next, following by a few shreds of vegan cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees, or until the top of the crust is golden.
- Remove from cups using the foil tabs and serve hot.